Saturday, January 2, 2016

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

"You had a pile of rocks, and you cleaned them up pretty and made a necklace. Meg got jewels, and she hung herself with them." -Gayle Forman, I Was Here

Well I wasn't expecting to finish this book in one day but HERE WE ARE.
I love Gayle Forman's writing. Her stories are so powerful and interesting to read about. 

Cody is astonished when she discovers her friend Meg has committed suicide. Meg’s parents ask Cody to go to Meg’s school and pack up her thing, which is where Cody discovers Meg held a very different life than the one she told Cody. Due to a weird phrasing in Meg’s suicide note, Cody investigates the circumstances of Meg’s death and discovers she was involved in a chat room where the participants support other users in taking their own lives. Cody becomes obsessed with one user in particular, and thinks they may hold the answers to her friend’s death

 Suicide is a very popular topic in the young adult genre, and normally a topic I stay away from. But when I saw this book with the pretty cover I couldn’t resist.

The plot was very different and unique and it was really interesting, I had to know the ending. The more I read and discovered, the more I wanted to know. It was fast-paced but had so many intense moments. Most of the characters were realistic and I did like Cody. I wasn't too attached to any of the characters. Ben was one of the characters that I felt wasn't realistic at all. All of Cody's other friends were so real and awesome! But at times, I had to stop reading and take a break from the intense situations. 


I had mixed feelings about this book but I learned so much. It was really different and now I know a little bit about those who deal with depression.  This book was really dark and it's not one of those cute contemporary books. 

Basically, I really connected with this book and loved it. I realize this book might not be for everyone, but as I always say about books, you never know until you try.

Some people who reach out for help sometimes reach to the wrong person or place, and it’s important to remember that suicide is not the answer. It gets better, it did for me, it will for you. No matter how you feel, there are people who care about you, whether you know it or not, whether you believe it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment