Monday, January 4, 2016

Love Letters to the Death by Ava Dellaira


“May, I love you with everything I am. For so long, I just wanted to be like you. But I had to figure out that I am someone too, and now I can carry you, your heart with mine, everywhere I go.” -Ava Dellaira, Love letter to the death

WARNING: This book may cause you to spend a whole day feeling down. 

This is honestly a very hard book to review. It brought out a lot of mixed feelings in me. Reminiscent of Perk Of Being A Wallflower, Love Letters to the Death is too beautiful, too meaningfu, and too heartbreaking to describe with words.  

I fell in love with the idea behind this book before I'd even read it. It is written in the format of letters to dead celebrities, in which the protagonist expresses her thoughts and feelings. It all starts with an assignment for an English class, where Laurel has to write a letter to a dead person. Though she doesn't give them to her teacher, she has a notebook full of letters to dead celebrities about her family, friends and experiences at her new school, as well as her sister May who died young

This is a difficult book to read. And not for any reasons except it was dark and it was sad and some of it felt very lonely. I pictured Laurel sitting in her room or at school writing the letters to famous people who have passed, as she is to scared to share her feelings with the living. It carries such a deep message about family and grief and how it affects you on a whole, and how one eventually overcomes that whilst going through a rough journey. Just beautiful.

Having said that, this book really was touching. I don’t know what it’s like to lose someone but the grief in this book is so profound that I know that I don’t want to know. This book really is powerful.

I would highly recommend Love Letters to the Dead to readers who enjoy Young Adult contemporary/realistic fiction, particularly the more serious kind, and coming of age novels.


By the time I post this review, I will have rewritten it a million times and I still won't be able to convey what I really think about it. Take that to mean what you will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment